ROMANIOTS

The name Romaniots is employed to define the original Jewish population of the territories of the Byzantine Empire, Constantinople, the Balkans, and Asia Minor, and their descendants in all matters relating to their customs, language, and tradition. The family names of the Romaniots were Greek, their synagogues were known by Greek names, and they were considerably influenced by Greek culture and especially the Greek language, which had also been adopted in their synagogue services. In 1547 a translation of the Torah in Greek and Ladino was published in Constantinople. The Greek translation was printed in square characters (see judeo-greek ). The customs and special versions of the Romaniots' prayers were collected in the "Maḥzor Romania" which includes the New Moon prayer given in Judeo-Greek. For many years, they read the Book of Jonah on the Day of Atonement in Hebrew and in Greek. It was also the custom to read Ruth, Lamentations, the tractate Avot, and a commentary to the Song of Songs in Greek. From the 16th century, the Romaniots were on the defensive culturally and socially against the waves of immigrants who arrived from the European countries, notably from spain and portugal , and who gradually imposed their way of life and customs on the existing population. The number of their synagogues decreased and their Greek dialect became limited to the Greek Jews in the towns of Kastoria, Ioannina, and Chalcis and to the karaites of the Haskoy district of Constantinople. The synagogue of the "Gregos Community" continued to exist in Constantinople until 1660, that of sofia until 1898, and that of Adrianople until it was burnt down in 1905. Among the customs and traditions of the Romaniots may be mentioned the seven wedding blessings that are recited at the betrothal (erusin) ceremony, whereas the usual custom is to recite it at the actual marriage ceremony. Originally, the husband did not inherit from the wife but later the marriage contract was amended according to which the husband shared the wife's inheritance with her offspring. -BIBLIOGRAPHY: Rosanes, Togarmah, 1 (19302); Assaf, in: Sefer ha-Yovel le… S. Krauss (1937), 169–77; D. Goldschmidt, in: Sefunot, 8 (1964), 205–36; J. Starr, The Jews in the Byzantine Empire   (1939), passim; idem, Romania (1949), passim; A. Galanté, Les Juifs de Constantinople sous Byzance (1940), 55–58; idem, Histoire des Juifs d'Istanbul, 2 (1942), 171–6; S. Marcus, The Judeo-Spanish Language (1965), 144–7. (Simon Marcus)

Encyclopedia Judaica. 1971.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • ISTANBUL — ISTANBUL, city in N.W. turkey , on both sides of the Bosphorus at its entrance on the Sea of Marmara (for history prior to 1453, see constantinople ). Constantinople was taken from the Byzantine emperor in 1453 by the Ottoman sultan Mehmed II… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • OTTOMAN EMPIRE — OTTOMAN EMPIRE, Balkan and Middle Eastern empire started by a Turkish tribe, led by ʿUthmān (1288–1326), at the beginning of the 14th century. This entry is arranged according to the following outline: sources …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • BULGARIA — BULGARIA, East Balkan republic located along the Black Sea. Ancient Period A Jewish settlement is known to have existed in Macedonia in the time of Caligula (37–41 C.E.; Philo, Embassy to Gaius, par. 281). A late second century Latin inscription… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • COMMUNITY — antiquity middle ages character and structures functions and duties individual centers the muslim caliphate in the east …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • GALLIPOLI — GALLIPOLI, port in European Turkey, on the S. coast of the Gallipoli peninsula. Benjamin of Tudela, the 12th century traveler, found 200 Jews in Gallipoli; they are also mentioned during the reign of Michael VIII Palaeologus in 1261. In the… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • EDIRNE — (Adrianople), town in Turkey located in eastern Thrace near the Turkish Greek Bulgarian frontier. According to the 2000 census, the city s population was recorded as 119,316. The city was named after the Roman emperor, Hadrian (125 C.E.).… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • RABBI, RABBINATE — The title rabbi is derived from the noun rav, which in biblical Hebrew means great and does not occur in the Bible; in its later sense in mishnaic Hebrew, however, the word rav means a master as opposed to a slave (e.g., does a slave rebel… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • CORFU — CORFU, Greek island, the second largest of the Ionian group. The town of the same name is the largest on the island. benjamin of tudela , in c. 1160, found only one Jew in Corfu. The number of Jews increased during the 13th and 14th centuries… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • CRETE — (Candia), the fourth largest island, 160 mi. (248 km.) long, in the Mediterranean Sea and the largest Greek island, lying 60 mi. (96 km) from the Peloponnesus. Crete is apparently identical with the biblical caphtor , the original home of the… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • GREECE — (Heb. יָוָן, Yavan), country in S.E. Europe. SECOND TEMPLE PERIOD (TO 330 C.E.) Although the earliest known Jews on the Greek mainland are to be found only from the third century B.C.E., it is highly probable that Jews traveled or were forcibly… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.